Israeli air-strikes and artillery fire struck Gaza nine times April 8, killing eight, and bringing the total number of dead over the past 24 hours to thirteen, some half of them civilians. A mother and daughter, and elderly man were killed in two separate strikes near Khan Younis, a fourth—identified as an al-Qassam Brigades fighter—was killed near Gaza City, and two unidentified men was killed when a shell hit his home east of Gaza City. A statement from the Israeli Defense Forces acknowledged civilian casualties, saying that the military “regrets that the Hamas terrorist organization chooses to operate from within its civilian population, using it as a ‘human shield’.”
The Israeli military reported “heavy rocket and mortar fire,” emanating from Gaza Friday afternoon. A later statement said a total of five mortars and eight projectiles had been fired from Gaza on Friday. DFLP fighters claimed to have fired two projectiles at targets from the northern Gaza Strip. A statement said the fire was a “response to Israel’s lack of commitment to the truce [and its] continuing of shelling of our unarmed people.” In the early evening, Hamas’ al-Qassam Brigades said fighters launched six projectiles and three mortars on an Israeli military post east of Rafah. (Maan News Agency, April 8)
See our last post on the struggle in Gaza.