Libya: Turkish troop presence threat to ceasefire

Libya’s eastern warlord Gen. Khalifa Haftar, who launched an offensive last year to capture the capital Tripoli from the UN-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) led by Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj, threatened Dec. 24 to launch attacks on¬†Turkish forces if Ankara doesn’t withdraw troops and mercenaries sent in to back up the GNA. The ultimatum is a theat to the ceasefire that has largely held since it was signed in October. Haftar’s comments came in response to the Turkish Parliament’s¬†move to extend for 18 months a law that allows the deployment of Turkish troops in Libya. “There will be no security or peace as long as the boots of the Turkish military are desecrating our immaculate soil,”¬†Haftar said in comments from his eastern stronghold of¬†Benghazi¬†on the 69th anniversary of Libya’s independence. “We will carry weapons to bring about peace with our own hands and our free will.”

The Turkish¬†defense minister responded that any attack by Haftar on Ankara’s personnel would be met with force. “A war criminal, murderer Haftar and his supporters must know that they will be seen as a legitimate target in case of any attack on Turkish forces,” Hulusi Akar said in an address to Turkish units in Tripoli.

Senior Egyptian security officials visited Tripoli for the first time since 2014 on Dec. 27 to discuss the situation with the GNA leadership. While the GNA is backed by Turkey, Haftar and his self-declared Libyan National Army (LNA) are backed by Russia, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt. (Daily Sabah, Al Jazeera, Al Jazeera)

Map: CIA