Jerusalem: sweeps in wake of attack

Israeli authorities revoked permits for Palestinians to enter Jerusalem and Israel in response to a deadly attack in East Jerusalem's Old City—then launched a a mass arrest campaign, rounding up hundreds for being in the city without a permit. At least 350 Palestinians were detained in a single day, with those holding West Bank IDs being forced to board buses and sent back to the occupied territory. A police statement added that Israeli forces are continuing security measures in an around the Old City "to prevent further attacks and respond if necessary." One Israeli police officer was killed in the knife attack outside the Old City's Damascus Gate. Israeli soldiers responding to the attack killed three Palestinians.

ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack, but Palestinian organizations released statements rejecting this claim. A Hamas statement said the attack was carried out by one of its militants along with two from the PFLP. The statement called the attack "a natural response to the crimes of the occupier."  (Ma'an, Al Jazeera)

An ISIS franchise in Gaza had been previously named as the "Supporters of the Islamic State in Jerusalem," but there is much controversy as to whether it actually exists.

  1. Jerusalem: sweeps in wake of attack —again

    Israeli forces detained dozens of Islamic Endowment employees at the Al-Aqsa Mosque on July 14, following a deadly shooting attack earlier in the Old City of occupied East Jerusalem that left two Israeli police officers and three Palestinians dead, with witnesses claiming that Israeli forces had also vandalized facilities at the holy site. (Ma'an)

    Hundreds of Palestinians meanwhile gathered in the Bethlehem area in the southern West Bank to mourn 18-year-old Baraa Hamamda, who was killed earlier in the day during an Israeli army raid in the al-Duheisha refugee camp. (Ma'an)

  2. Three Palestinians killed in al-Aqsa clashes

    Three Palestinians were reportedly shot and killed during clashes in occupied East Jerusalem and the West Bank on July 21 amid clashes over new Israeli security measures at the al-Aqsa Mosque compound. The deaths comes amid a large-scale demonstration across East Jerusalem. Israeli forces also violently suppressed other solidarity marches in the occupied West Bank and the besieged Gaza Strip, with the Palestinian Red Crescent reporting at least 193 Palestinians injured. (Ma'an)

  3. Israel to replace al-Aqsa metal detectors

    The Israeli security cabinet decided during a meeting late on July 24 to remove metal detectors, which had recently been installed at the entrances of the al-Aqsa Mosque compound, only to replace them with more advanced surveillance technology in the Old City of occupied East Jerusalem.

    Israeli authorities installed metal detectors, turnstiles, and additional security cameras in the compound following a deadly shooting attack at al-Aqsa on July 14. In a statement, the security cabinet said it had “accepted the recommendation of all of the security bodies to incorporate security measures based on advanced technologies ('smart checks') and other measures instead of metal detectors in order to ensure the security of visitors and worshipers in the Old City and on the Temple Mount." (Ma'an)

  4. Palestinians injured as Israeli forces raid al-Aqsa

    Just one hour after thousands of Palestinian worshipers entered the al-Aqsa Mosque compound in occupied East Jerusalem for the first time in nearly two weeks, clashes erupted inside the holy site, as Israeli forces fired tear gas and rubber-coated steel bullets at worshipers. The Palestinian Red Crescent released a statement saying that its crews had provided at least 94 worshipers with medical care. According to the group, some worshipers were treated for rubber-coated steel bullet injuries and tear gas inhalation, while others were physically assaulted and pepper sprayed by Israeli forces.

    As clashes took place inside the compound, Israeli forces closed the Remission Gate (Bab al-Hutta) entrance to the compound, which was the last gate to be opened on Thursday afternoon before thousands of worshipers poured in for afternoon Asr prayers. Israeli soldiers also took down the Palestinian flags that worshipers had raised atop Al-Aqsa Mosque in celebration when they entered the compound.

    By 7 PM., Israeli forces were reportedly only allowing women and the elderly into the compound, according to witnesses.  (Ma'an)