Al-Qaeda franchise claims Mali suicide blast

JNIM

The Group for Support of Islam and Muslims (JNIM), al-Qaeda’s branch in West Africa and the Sahel, claimed its forces were responsible for a suicide bombing in the northern Malian city of Gao Nov. 12. The suicide truck-bomb detonated in a residential area of Gao, killing three (not counting the attacker) and wounding another 30. The JNIM¬†statement claimed the target was¬†a base of “Crusader invaders”¬†from the United Kingdom, Germany and Canada. However, all of those killed were civilians and¬†local Malians. Four of the wounded were foreign employees of the United Nations’¬†Mine Action Service, working to remove landmines in the area.¬†They included two Cambodians, a South African, and a Zimbabwean. A video later released by JNIM¬†confirmed that the mine-dismantling headquarters in Gao was the intended target. The video stated that “this operation demonstrates that the mujahideen are continuing upon their covenant, which they had made to their lord, until they achieve one of the two good ends, victory or martyrdom.”¬†The statement said the group will continue to target international forces until “the ummah [Musilm community] enjoys the rule of shariah.”

The suicide bombing was the first claimed by JNIM since July. In that attack, a bomber rammed his explosive-laden vehicle into a French patrol,¬†also in the city of Gao. At least eight French troops were wounded, while two civilians lost their lives in the blast. Just days before that, a JNIM suicide bomber struck a G5 Sahel base in central Mali’s Mopti region, killing six. (Long War Journal)

Image via Long War Journal

  1. Al-Qaeda franchise issues apology in Mali blast
    Al-Qaeda’s local franchise, the Group of Support for Islam and Muslims (JNIM) has issued a formal apology for killing over a dozen civilians last week when a bus ran over a landmine in central Mali, killing at least 14 civilians. The statement says the mine “was planted by the mujahideen for patrolling French vehicles.” The jihadist group offers “condolences and sympathies” to the families of those killed. (LWJ)

  2. ISIS claims attack on Mali base
    At least 53 soldiers and a civilian were killed in an attack on a military post in northeast Mali Nov. 2. The attack, one of the deadliest against Malian forces, took place in Indelimane, in the Menaka region close to the border with Niger. ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack via its media arm, Amaq, without citing evidence. (Al Jazeera)

  3. Mali army loses 24 soldiers in Niger border attack
    Twenty-four soldiers have been killed in an attack by militants in eastern Mali, the country’s army has said. Another 29 were also injured during a joint operation between troops from Mali and Niger in the Gao border region. Mali’s army said 17 “terrorists”¬†were killed and 100 suspects were being held in Tiloa, Niger. (BBC News)

  4. Scores of soldiers killed in Niger base attack
    At least 71 Nigerien soldiers were killed in an attack on a military camp in the west of the country Nov. 10. The attack took place in the western Niger city of Inates, about 115 miles from Tongo Tongo, where four American soldiers were killed in an ambush in Niger in 2017. Three Nigerien soldiers and 14 rebel fighters were killed a day earlier in an attack on another army post in Agando in western Tahoua region. (NPR, Al Jazeera)