On Thursday Sept. 25, Peru's President Ollanta Humala will be honored at a $500-per-plate dinner by the free-trade-boosting Americas Society "in recognition of his extraordinary accomplishments as president of the Andean country." Sponsors of the event include mineral and oil giants Barrick Gold, Freeport-McMoRan and Pluspetrol. The event comes amid ongoing deadly attacks on indigenous leaders defending their traditional lands in Peru. Local New York activists will be protesting the event with the following demands:
* No More Free Trade Agreements! No Trans-Pacific Partnership!
* Justice for Cajamarca: Break the US-Peru Free Trade Agreement & Demand Cleanup NOW!
* No to the Conga Mining Project!
* No to Camisea Gas Pipeline Expansion!
* Stop the Murder of Indigenous Environmental Defenders!
When: Thursday, September 25th, 7PM-10:30PM
Where: AS/COA, 680 Park Avenue at 68th Street, Manhattan