Evidence of the 1995 Srebrenica massacre continues to emerge from the earth of Bosnia-Herzegovina, the BBC reports Oct. 17. Of course our resident Chetniks will tell us this is all more imperialist lies, while their neo-Ustashe rivals (whom they mirror with perfect symmetry) meanwhile blast us for daring to suggest that maybe the Croats committed a few unpleasantries as well. Keep those rotten tomatoes coming, gang!
New Srebrenica mass grave found
A forensic team in Bosnia has found the remains of another 482 victims of the Srebrenica massacre, officials say. The head of the forensic team said only eight sets of remains were complete, indicating that bodies had been moved by bulldozer in an effort to hide them. The mass grave is the latest of five found so far in the village of Liplje, about 30km (19 miles) from Srebrenica.
Almost 8,000 Muslims were killed by Bosnian Serbs there in 1995 – Europe’s worst atrocity since World War II. Thousands of bodies have been recovered from mass graves around Srebrenica over the past few years.
Forensic team leader Murat Hurtic said the exhumation of the latest grave in Liplje took the number of bodies found in the village to more than 1,000.
“Experts will now start examination of bones found in all five sites in order to reassemble as many skeletons as possible,” he said. “Since bulldozers were used for reburial of the victims into five secondary mass graves it is very possible that parts of a single body are found in two or three sites.”
Mr Hurtic told Reuters news agency he believed the remains were those of Muslims killed by Bosnian Serb forces at Petkovci dam after fleeing Srebrenica.
The massacre took place after Serb forces stormed the UN-designated safe area near the end of the 1992-1995 war in Bosnia-Hercegovina. The Bosnian Serbs’ political leader during the war, Radovan Karadzic, and his military commander, Ratko Mladic, are still being sought.
Both men have been indicted by the UN tribunal for alleged war crimes and genocide over the Srebrenica massacre.