According to a May 27 CBC news report, the Ontario section of Canada’s largest union, the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) has voted overwhemingly to support a campaign of boycotts, divestment and sanctions against Israel. There are over 200,000 members in the Ontario division of CUPE. This stands in contrast to the largest US trade union, the AFL-CIO, which campaigned against a proposal for the city of Somerville, MA to divest from Israel bonds.
More from the Coalition Against Israeli Apartheid (CAIA):
May, 27 2006
CUPE Ontario votes in Support of Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions Against Israeli Apartheid
Press Contact: Khaled Mouammar (905) 508 0562
The Coalition Against Israeli Apartheid (CAIA) congratulates CUPE Ontario (Canadian Union of Public Employees) for passing Resolution 50 in support of the global campaign against Israeli Apartheid. The resolution passed with overwhelming support at the largest provincial convention in the union’s history, held May 24-27 in Ottawa, Canada. Over 900 delegates from CUPE locals across Ontario attended the convention. CUPE represents about 200,000 public sector workers in Ontario and is the largest public sector union in the province.
Resolution 50 expresses CUPE Ontario’s support for the international campaign of boycott, divestment and sanctions until Israel meets its obligations to recognize the Palestinian people’s inalienable right to self-determination and fully complies with international law including resolution 194 calling for the right of return of Palestinian refugees.
From the convention floor, delegates spoke out against Israeli Apartheid and recalled the active role CUPE played in the campaign against South African Apartheid. This resolution is part of a growing global campaign initiated on July 9, 2005 by over 170 Palestinian organizations, including the Palestinian General Federation of Trade Unions for boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) against Israel.
The resolution commits CUPE Ontario to educate its members on the apartheid nature of the Israeli state and Canada’s support for these racist practices. CUPE Ontario will also call on the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) to join the campaign against Israeli apartheid, in particular the campaign to dismantle the Apartheid Wall.
To join the campaign or inquire about organizing educationals on Israeli apartheid please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Full Text of the Resolution Below:
CUPE ONTARIO WILL:
1. With Palestine solidarity and human rights organizations, develop an education campaign about the apartheid nature of the Israeli state and the political and economic support of Canada for these practices.
2. Support the international campaign of boycott, divestment and sanctions until Israel meets its obligation to recognize the Palestinian people’s inalienable right to self-determination and fully complies with the precepts of international law including the right of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties as stipulated in UN resolution194.
3. Call on CUPE National to commit to research into Canadian involvement in the occupation and call on the CLC to join us in lobbying against the apartheid-like practices of the Israeli state and call for the immediate dismantling of the wall.
* The Israeli Apartheid Wall has been condemned and determined illegal under international law.
* Over 170 Palestinian political parties, unions and other organizations including the Palestinian General Federation of Trade Unions issued a call in July 2005 for a global campaign of boycotts and divestment against Israel similar to those imposed against South African Apartheid;
* CUPE BC has firmly and vocally condemned the occupation of Palestine and have initiated an education campaign about the apartheid-like practices of the Israeli state.
See our last post on Israel/Palestine.